Monday, April 7, 2008

Oscar Mayer?


Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A .....Oh...sorry, I got carried away :) Ok who eats bologna?!! Meeeee! Like rolly polly's with the exception that I don't eat rolly polly's... bologna has been with me since I was little also! My favorite thing before I eat the bologna is to eat out two eyes and then a mouth :) I used to do this for my kids when they were little as I did when I was younger. I always heard that bologna was made up of some nasty stuff but I didn't wanna know because there is nothing better than taking a piece of bologna sandwhich meat and frying it in a pan, toasting your bread and sticking it between two pieces with some mayonnaise! Yummmmm warm bologna samiccch! So here is a bit about bologna...

"The meat is ground and chopped very fine, and at the big bologna factories, it's pureed so the machines can pour into casings. Like other sausages, bologna is covered in either a natural casing made from the gastrointestinal tracts of cattle, sheep, and hogs, or a synthetic casing made of collagen, fibrous materials, or even plastic. All bologna is cooked and smoked to pasteurize it, so it's ready to eat when you buy it."

Meat as in cooked, smoked sausage made of cured beef, pork, or a mixture of the two. Yes there are some "what the hell do we do with this body part" mixed in bologna such as organ meats, trimmings and end pieces of other meat trimmings.
American bologna sandwich meat got's it name from northern Italian town called
Bologna.
In Bologna, the town, the meat was referred to as sausage. Traders picked up the sausage there and the town became popular for it which led to it's Americanized name "bologna" :)
So bologna didn't start with Oscar Mayer, but they sure have made it fun for American kids...and some of us adults!



3 comments:

Meg said...

I love your random thoughts. :P

Ang said...

Thank you Meg :) I <3 you!!!

Unknown said...

Now I know why I don't like Boloney.... first it's spelled wrong.. bologna? Second... it's got 'parts' that they don't know what else to do with...

I'll stick with peanut butter.